Thursday 28 April 2011

Mabsoot

I'M BACK, Y'ALL. Probably with a considerably larger curse / swear-word count, but back nonetheless. And it's unlikely that I'll be posting regularly for a while, but hey, at least I've got something going. Today's word means happy.

Ok, so I took a brief hiatus due to being stressed. However, the reason for me being focused enough to write this blog is, ironically, stress.

Allow me to explain. My childhood was quite a stressful and traumatic one; my parents divorced, I've been surrounded by alcoholism, abuse, arguments, depression and other unhappy situations. Not little ones, but pretty big ones. But it leaves me with somewhat of a defence mechanism. If something trivially insignificant doesn't go my way, I freak the fuck out. If my vacuum cleaner isn't sucking the dust up powerfully enough, I'll feel a rage start building inside. If I break a glass, it'll push me to the verge of tears of frustration. But when I'm overwhelmed with stressful situations that actually matter, I seem to dissociate my body from my emotions and just focus on things, and deal with things slowly and in a logical matter. It's brilliant.

Don't get me wrong, I'm still nowhere near sorting everything out, but there's such a lot going on, it's keeping me focused. Which is a good thing so near to exams.

I've also recently taken up frisbee. I'm not the most sporty person in the world (if anything, I'm probably the least sporty), so any kind of physical activity that I enjoy is a good thing. I want to take up Ultimate (or Ultimate Frisbee as it is more popularly known, but since Frisbee is a trademarked name, they don't like it being called that because it genericises it and puts the trademark at risk). It's similar to netball but played with a frisbee, and it's much faster-paced. Not sure what I'm writing at the moment - kinda multitasking (or failing) but I'll see where this goes.

Another project that I've decided to take up is to create a set of music synchronised lights. This entails several LEDs connected to a 3.5mm headphone audio output, using capacitors, resistors and transistors to control the frequency range that each LED responds to. This will end up with a set of lights flashing to the music, similar to those found in discos and at live music gigs. I've already got a generic circuit schematic, now all I need to do is work in some values for the ranges I want, the resistors, et cetera and then I can make it.

I've run out of things to write about, so I'll leave it here.

"There's never enough time to do all the nothing you want"

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Don't like it? Agree with it? Disagree with it? Well, here's a little drop-box for your views.