Monday 17 January 2011

Bumfuzzlings.

Another interesting colloquial term, this time meaning to confuse or fluster.

And so begins the morning of another week, eh? It's been a rough old weekend, and it's unlikely to get much better any time soon. The next twenty-odd posts (assuming I manage to stick to my posting routine) are likely to be slightly darker and less cheery, but still (you might be pleased to hear) as batshit mad.

I'm not one to post my problems online, so don't expect to hear me moaning and groaning about them on here (I hear your whoops of joy). Regardless, how's about some more interesting (Pshh...) stuff about my computer! Yippee, I hear you cry!

Over the weekend, I was -- as I usually do -- fiddling with my computer. But only with the software, I must add. I'm dangerous when tinkering with hardware. While I generally know what I'm doing, I don't think to make safety precautions such as unplugging the computer, or even switching it off before opening the case. And for this reason, and probably numerous other overlooked safety issues, I've electrocuted myself more times than I can count on one hand (That's more than five times).

But anyway, back to the original story, I was tinkering and, again, broke the computer. How? With the addition of just one single extra unneeded space. While deleting a file using the terminal application, I accidentally pressed the spacebar halfway through the line of code. What did this do? It deleted the file that I wanted it to delete. And every other file on the hard drive. Important note, by the way. When deleting files, it's probably safer to never ever use the terminal when logged in as root. It doesn't stop you when deleting protected files from a read-only environment. It just powers through the restrictions.

The root user is essentially a super user with extra powers. It has complete control of the system, regardless of any restrictions applied. You can do anything with the root account. It's like having a magic wand for your system. It takes a lot of getting used to, learning how to control it, and if you don't take time and care with it, you will cause unspeakable damage. And I'm going to stop discussing computers now. I've done it way too much already.

I'm so close to completing Spyro 2 now. I've gotten all of the talismans, orbs, gems, abilities, and I'm on 7/16 skill points obtained. Some of them are actually really tough. But still, I'm impressed that I've gotten this far in less than a week, considering that it took me almost three months to get to the second home world (there are three home worlds; Summer Forest, Autumn Plains and Winter Tundra). This is one of the biggest things that's been missing from my life for a while.

I'm also, again, tired. Particularly since it's 1am on Monday morning now. I'll try and make the next post about something other than computers and Spyro too. A quote to last you till next time:

"In a crazy world, it's only your insanity that will keep you sane."

2 comments:

  1. Good luck, your grasp of technology far exceeds mine! Spyro 2 indeed! 3 times a week, a lot but stay with it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you! So far, I think I'm managing to stick with it! I've been waiting through today to post my next one!

    ReplyDelete

Like it? Don't like it? Agree with it? Disagree with it? Well, here's a little drop-box for your views.