Sunday 23 January 2011

Callypigian

Something that rather amused me when I found out, today's word means to have perfectly proportioned buttocks.

This weekend, I've not been at home, unfortunately. I've spent the weekend with my good friend Dominic (who will be utterly delighted to be mentioned in this blog) and my young lady friend, Holly. By "lady friend", I mean that she's my girlfriend.

Now, this week, I'm a little short on inspiration for blogworthy content. So, I'm just going to start on a topic, and keep going until something comes of it. Aren't you all just positively giddy with anticipation.

A lot of people make assumptions in today's society. Monogamy is one of them. When one enters into a relationship, monogamy is just assumed, but is it right to just assume monogamy? All of our assumptions are based on a social norm. Those who are rebellious know the social norm, but try to break away from it; whereas those who are more comfortable in the nature of their society keep to the trend.
Now, there are a few people out there who will be arguing with me thus far, saying "You can't just assume monogamy in a relationship!" Well, yes you can, and no you can't. (If you'll excuse me, I'm rather paraphrasing what one of my friends mentioned, but I'd like to publicise this futher)
I believe that, where monogamy is the social norm, you are perfectly within your rights to assume it. However, polyamorous individuals will be assuming not. Because it's not their norm. So, yes you can assume monogamy, but only in a society in which it is the norm. My writing style is going awfully downhill in this post...

Another assumption made in society today; table manners. No, I'm not saying that table manners are an assumption, but the level to which they are "necessary" is subjective and assumed. If, for example, you were at a meal in a greasy spoon café, with your rather burly and common-as-muck uncle, table manners are hardly going to be enforced or necessary, as it were. The social norm (Yeah, I know I keep referring to it as this) is not as upper-class, and table manners are not expected. You could probably get away with sitting with your elbows on the table, talking about anything, even possibly eating with your fingers.
On the other extreme of the figurative spectrum, if you were attending a meal with your middle-class, financially-benefitted grandmother, in an uptown restaurant, the last thing you'd ever want to do would be to put your elbows on the table. (Well, I'm sure there are other things that you'd probably want to do less, but you get the idea). The social etiquette in such company would be to sit straight, speak about "clean" or socially-acceptable topics (another assumption made) and never, ever let your elbows touch that table!
However, there are no set rules or regulations about manners when at a meal. It is just an assumption made because it is socially more acceptable.
Within my group of friends, with regards to table conversations, (since many conversations used to take a turn for the more sexually-explicit or morally questionable (usually due to me...), we've decided on a rule of "Not near the lightbulb". A joking, lighthearted rule, usually exclaimed by most at the table when a conversation began to take that route into the Oblivion of moral objection, but one of those subjective rules nonetheless. When does a conversation become morally questionable? There is no set point, since everyone's morals are different. I know this has been a massively long-winded method of describing it, but today's society is based strongly around social assumptions, and subjective matters. Maybe we need more rules, or maybe we need to put less emphasis. I don't know. I'm not entirely sure what it is that I'm trying to write about here. Note to self: Stick to reviews and personal experiences, and don't give up your day job.

Alas, I know I'm posting this early, but it's unlikely that I'll be able to post at midnight, since I'm not at home. I hope you'll all forgive me for this abomination of my self-enforced rules and regulations regarding posting frequency.
However, do I dare leave with another cynical quote, or would that be socially unacceptable? Subjective.

"Etiquette is the invention of wise men to keep fools at a distance."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Like it? Don't like it? Agree with it? Disagree with it? Well, here's a little drop-box for your views.